Saturday, August 7, 2010

San Jose Drift Scene: Current events

Countersteer has come to San Jose and more then half of the drifters here are doing it. Yeah, I've tried it with my Square TA05 with limited success. From the people who have tried my car, they say it handles very good. I find it hard to believe because that car just can't drive smooth no matter what gearing, set up, or driving style I use.

Also, Hyperdrift has come from Hawaii and it's the best thing that happened to the San Jose drift scene. More events are popping up all over Nor Cal. So Cal is actually jealous of our scene and that, to me, is a great success.

Right now, Hyperdrift has set up a point series. 4 Rounds. Rounds 1 and 4 are at Fast Pace Racing (set up inside) and 2 and 3 are set up at HobbyTown Fremont. Round two finished not too long ago and I got 4th place! That is my best result ever. Team Tengu is owning the point series. So far, round 1 had 2 Tengu members in the top 3 and round 2 also had 2. That is good news to our sponsor Amplified Boarding.

Team boss Eric came up with a really cool idea for the team bodies as you can see here:



From left to right: Binh, Rob, Eric, Nick, and me.

Before the point series, we had a competition Driftcon 1 at Fast Pace. The first time we ever drove inside the shop. Eric had spent days setting up the surface for the event and when we started practice on the day of the comp, everyone was caught off guard. The floor was slippery at first, but the longer you drifted on it, the more grip you got as the floor surface would cake itself onto the tires. The event was the first that Hyperdrift presented so it didn't go smoothly to some. People had complaints about the judging because the winner (Nick from Tengu) was a judge. I was eliminated early (still have nervous ticks at the time) so I picked up the camera and recorded the last few runs.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=3wy0FPNxAQY

What's in the future of the San Jose drift scene?

From what I know, there will be a charity competition in November. It will be different from other comps we've done. How? Well, this is the first comp that uses a motor limit. We are all limited to a stock 27T BRUSHED motor! I have to say, I really like seeing everyone get nervous when that was posted. I've used a stock motor in my drifter for the longest time when I started out. I think that is the most powerful motor any drifter should have. I'm excited to see how that comp will go...

No comments:

Post a Comment