Saturday, August 7, 2010

My Drifter: Update

I no longer run the Velineon brushless system. Why? Too old is my guess. That version of the Velineon was one of the first and I've used it in several cars. One day at a session, the motor kept cutting out in mid drift and when I got it back home and tried to fix it, the system doesn't work anymore. Oh well I guess. Now I'm rocking a Yeah Racing ESC and 5.5 motor. Yeah, I know. It does seem like extreme overkill but somehow it isn't. I got it, used it in one session to set it up for my car, and the next time I used it was in round 2. That's where I got my best result ever. Luck? Skill? I really don't know but I only got it because it was cheap and I've been shopping around for a motor/ESC combo for a long time and I just got fed up with searching.



The set up has been perfected. With the help of Eric, my car has been set up for a universal drift set up that is easy to tune and handles just the way I like it. Every session and comp, I don't have to stress about my car not handling right. If I do, there is a simple adjustment I do to get it right. Would you believe me if I said all I have to do to make my car drive better is the change the tension on the front shocks? Well, it's true.

I'm selling the Square kit so I can buy a Yokomo Drift Package that a local is selling. I splurged and bought a Square front motor conversion for my TA05. I was interested in seeing how it would drive and what do ya know? I didn't like it! From my experiences, the further forward the motor is mounted on a car, the better it does on small tracks. Rear motors are good for medium to large tracks. The majority of tracks we set up at sessions and comps are medium sized and I didn't follow my personal rule: If it works, DON'T CHANGE IT.

I've made that mistake in the past with the lightweight suspension set up. Oh boy, that was a big mistake. So I used the Square for a few sessions (no comps) and I changed it back to the regular TA05. Ever since, my 05 has been getting better and better.

Oh yeah, I'm getting a Drift Package. A local drifter traded it to Eric and Eric is selling it. I've always wanted to try out a DP and since countersteer wasn't working for me... I decided to buy it. I was inspecting it at the last session and I saw a few (what looked like minor) problems, the car could have the potential to be great. The main reason why I wouldn't want to get it? I like being the only Team Tengu member that uses Tamiya. :P



I am sick of belts though. I've owned quite a few belt cars but the 05 is the longest owned car and while I haven't gone through a million belts, I don't like belt drives. The tensioning, the adjusting, the wear... it's too much. There have been occasions where my car wasn't driving right because the belt tension loosened up. It's a simple fix, but it never should happen.

No comments:

Post a Comment